More pre-purchase questions...

As you probably know by now, I'm ordering a 2000 BMW 328Ci soon, (tmw
in fact!) and have been working on after market options. I have
discussed with a reputable car install shop and it won't be cheap,
but I can have a really nice install done without too much trouble.

I need to make sure the climate control unit can easily be moved to
the slot under where it is now. The salesman says it's the same unit
as the one installed in the lower slot to accommodate the GPS system
and someone who knows what they are doing should be able to move it
without too much trouble. The install shop guy said as long as the
radio isn't an integral part of the car electrical system, and the
climate control unit can be moved, it will be an easy install. But
even if it isn't possible, he said there are ways around it. Can
anyone comment on this? I would also be interested in hearing from
anyone who was able to make use of the steering wheel stereo controls
on an after market system. (It is possible)

Also I have been looking at alarms. I have noticed that there are
many things in the car that may cause problems with this. For example
the coded key system might have problems with the ignition kill
feature of the alarm. The light flash feature may encounter problems
with the daytime running lights and delayed-off feature of the
headlights. I'm sure there are other considerations as well. So I
noticed BMW has an alarm system of their own, but I can't seem to
find online info on it. What features does it have compared to a
regular after market alarm which usually includes door, glass break,
and shock sensors, and offers light flash and siren alarm states. I
would like the fact that the buttons located on the key already would
be useful for this. But I want comparable protection. Any thoughts?

						-Michael