E36 steering weirdness

Hi all ...

Preface: 1994 325i 4dr auto 91k (black)

I'm concerned about the steering. When the car is cold, I feel this
vibration on the wheel when I turn it significantly. I don't know how to
describe the vibration, other than to say it feels spongy.

This vibration is accompanied by a sound that ranges from a groaning sound
to a higher-pitched sound -- not necessarily a clicking sound ... maybe I
would describe it as a spongy clicking. Weird.

I first noticed these symptoms only when the car was cold a few months ago.
Since then, the symptoms have recurred more and more frequently, and for
longer and longer each time such that now it can and does happen even when
the car has been running for a while.

I looked at the archives and saw one posting on point mentioning a broken
air bag coil. That posting is at this URL:

  http://www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/e36/drivetrain/e36_steering_noise.html

However, my mechanic took only a cursory look at it and said he thought he
needed to pull the steering column out for lubrication. As I said, he didn't
take a good look at it so I don't put a whole lot of credence into his
assessment.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks,
- -Josh