RE: 325is Question

Dane Carlson <danec@domain.elided> asked:

"Allan Williams" <allanw@domain.elided> sez:

> A 325i is a pretty quick car anyway, so the auto doesn't mean
> you lose too much... it's not quite the same but still fast
> enough (How often do you drive at full performance levels
> anyway?) If it's nice and you like it you can buy it - it's
> not like you are buying new and have the option!

I would beg to differ.
First of all, Dane does have the options of buying either a manual or an
automatic E30. Both are abundantly represented on the market.
Secondly, I would avoid automatic E30s for two reasons:
- - they are noticeably slower. Auto E30 325i 0-60mph is slower by some 1.5
seconds over manual.
- - ZF4HP22 is that very same automatic transmission that self destructs when
revved in neutral or not religiously maintained. Otherwise ZF4HP22 rarely
lives past 150K miles.

Two reasons for gettign an E30 with ZF4HP22 would be:
- - you can't drive stick and you have no choice
- - it will give you a slightly higher mileage (different gearing)

alex f
E30 325i - 175K miles with original transmission
E30 325isA - 120K miles with original transmission and a very nervous owner
E36 M3 - doesn't matter