MZ3 New owner with a few questions

In late November I bought my 1st BMW, a 2000 M roadster, and have already
racked up 7,700 miles. In case that mileage doesn't speak for itself,  I
love it.  I've already driven from Austin, TX to Ft. Lauderdale, FL (21
hours straight through, stopping only for gas but a much more leisurely
trip back).  I was driving an Eagle Talon TSi, but after I took a test
drive I *had* *to* *have* *that* *car*. :-)
I do have a couple of questions though that hopefully someone can help me
with:
1) I've burned a little over 2 quarts of oil.  The dealership service guy
said up to 1 quart every 1200 miles is OK in an M engine.  Can this really
be?  Not seeing any leaks on the engine, I'm assuming it's rings or valve
seals.
2) Rough cold idle.  Is this something I have to live with, or is it just
mine?
3) Engine service manuals, where to buy (or a BMW part number)?  I've asked
the local dealership and they say there's nothing available for either the
car, or the S52 engine.  I'd like to get these mostly because I plan on
keeping this car a *long* *long* time, though as someone who has worked on
my share of big-block V8s I'm curious as to the details of VANOS, etc.
4) The transmission is a little 'notchy' going into 1st and 2nd.  Again, is
it something normal, or just mine?
5) Any idea how long my little baby will last (miles)?  I bought her to see
the USA in... all 48, so there's going to a ton of highway miles, no track
driving, and regular visits to the dealer.  (My father has a 635CSi that he
hasn't killed in a 140,000, so I'm hoping the M engine isn't that much worse)
- --Rob
  Austin, TX