E36 Radio Display

The display on my '96 328is Alpine radio (Harmon Kardon)  has finally gone
out after several months of sporadic performance.  It has been out upon
initial power on, usually illuminating after a minute or two.  Now it is off
all the time.  Otherwise, the radio operates normally.  The dealer says that
it is not fixable, that it would need to be replaced.  I am off warranty.
Has anybody had experience repairing this problem?  Maybe removing the head
unit and cleaning the contacts?

Don Cole
dcole@domain.elided