Geneva Autoshow

   I just got out of the Geneva Autoshow about 1/2 hour ago.   Here's
a small report.   The lighting is bad by this terminal I found, so I
can't read my notes.

   What's was new at Geneva for BMW were the new M3, 3 series
convertible, and 4WD 3 series.   To take them in order...

- - New M3.  Two were shown in a new yellow color.   They have more
  muscular looking hood compare to the 3er coupe.   That combined with
  the flared wheel openings make the whole car look muscular.
  Especially, with the front wheels quite far forward compared to
  other cars.   The front air dam is styled like that of the M5, but
  since the M3 is narrower, it doesn't carry it quite as well.  Side
  trim is body color, and there's Z3 style fake openings on front side
  fenders.  There's a small spoiler on the trunk edge and other than
  that and what I've mentioned before, I couldn't detect or outside
  differences.  Well, there's clear lenses, of course.   Instruments
  get the "chrome" outline like the M coupe.   Both examples shown had
  full treatment of accessories including remote operated rear window
  shade (the M5 doesn't have that).   One example had syntetic seat
  material that looked like cloth but didn't feel like it.   Lots of
  small holes in it to allow circulation.  The other had traditional
  leather.    I liked the treatment of the front arm rests, which is
  too difficult to describe.  The dead pedal has metallic trim making
  it quite prominent.  European hp is 343 (American version
  will be 10hp less to keep EPA happy) at 7900 rpm from 3.245 liters.

- - 323Ci convertible.   This was European introduction (so it must have
  been give world premier elsewhere).   Another good looking
  convertible, IMHO, compared to the competition.   It has electric
  memory seats and the belt retractor is part of the seat instead of
  the body.  A button moves the seat forward to gain access to the
  rear seat and another button returns the seat to original position.
  Hardtop for winter is already available.

- - 3er with four wheel drive.  At show was world premier 4x4 with a
  330d touring with four wheel drive.  38% of the traction goes to the
  front.  It is also available in sedan.   The motor was also new.
  It is 2.7l 6cy diesel with direct injection.   390 Nm torque and 184
  HP. The car was equipped with 5sp manual.   It didn't look any
  higher off the ground than regular car, but was hard to compare.

   Some other remarks about the show...

- - World consolidation of the automakers was visible.   Ford collected
  all the marques they own in one area, i.e. Volvo, Aston Martin,
  Jaguar, Mazda, and Ford.   Mercedes was next to Chrysler, but I
  didn't see any Daimbler-Chrysler signs.   Opel, GM-America and Saab
  together,    And the BMW Group had the Rover, Land Rover, Mini, MG,
  alongside the BMW marque.

- - I couldn't find a signle Italian car that I was allowed to sit in
  that you could possbiliy hit the accelerator with your heel while
  the toe is on the brakes.

- - A company called Coggiola is making an SUV quite a bit larger than
  anything from Ford.

- - Lots for Formula 1 cars on display, with Honda having more than
  anybody else.   The new Williams-BMW was sitting next to the M3.

- - Mercedes displayed their version the "Teile" painted race car.   It
  was tublar frame on the inside, but had the siloutte of a CLK.

- - Everybody has to have a roadster, so Tata (Indian car maker) showed
  their prototype.

- - Alpina is still tunning BMWs with beautifully done interiors and
  steptronic buttons on the back side of the steering wheel.   But
  their staff only speaks German (at least it is not Swiss German).

- - Porsche has a Carerra model with four wheel drive and PSM (Porsche
  Stability Management) which includes ABS, ABD, and ASR (I only
  recognize the first).

- - The Porsche 911 Turbo is now water cooled.

- - Ford and Honda had concept cars with TV cameras rather than outside
  rear view mirrors to reduce drag.

- - Most of the concept cars weren't very interesting this year, the the
- - one from Cadilac was down righ ugly.

- - VW displayed a new beatle with huge rear wing and high tech racing
  style interior.

- - Chrysler was pushing the Pt Crusier which drew quite a bit of
  interest.

   That's all for now, will add something if I think of it later.

End of bmw-digest V9 #1396