<soapbox>ABS and human nature

It was recently written:

>ABS is invaluable in short stops where you need to swerve. But if you
drive
>normally and do not need to quickly avoid an obstacle while braking then
it
>won't engage. So no it's not that important, more of a safety
>feature/luxury. But definitely compensate, while driving, for the lack
of
>it. You should check there's no leaks, that you've changed your brake
fluid
>recently (about once a year) and that it's at the right levels.

Why shouldn't EVERYONE drive as if they don't have ABS? That is the
problem with highly-touted safety features, be they airbags, ABS, disc
brakes, Michelin tires, or SUVs. Drivers know that they are 10% safer, so
they subconsciously drive 10% riskier.  We pay big bucks for all these
mandated features, and they are completely negated by human nature. I
believe the insurance companies have seen no fewer claims for cars with
ABS. My idea of the ultimate safety feature is a nine-inch spike sticking
out from the center of the steering wheel. You would see an end to
tail-gaiting. Seriously, wear your seat belt and be sane and alert;
everything else is secondary. Thank you.

Bill Wolz

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.