Battery Relocation

Here's my experience relocating a battery in a 72 2002 Tii:

The original location for the battery in the engine compartment does not
allow for easy access to other parts like the oil filter.  I relocated it
to the trunk via a #2 welding cable through the firewall, in the passenger
compartment next to the driver's seat, and into the trunk where I located
it in a marine battery box bolted to the trunk.

Be sure to use good quality grommets as if the cable is worn and makes
contact with the negative grounded chassis, you will have a "hot time" ;-).
 The other thing you will need to do is locate the appropriate copper
connector from the welding shop to braze on the end.  I used a tourch with
appropriate brazing.  Also leave some slack on the cable so you can pull
the battery box to the rear of the trunk for maintenance, replacement, etc.
  It is a backbreaker to lift anything as heavy as a battery in the rear of
the trunk.

The result was significant benefits to the weight distribution and feel.
This is probably enhanced as the Tii is so light, that these type of weight
shifts are more pronounced than you will get with heavier cars.  Helping
jump start someone is more of a pain as the battery is more difficult to
access.  I believe the battery fluid level is more consistent ie does not
evaporate as fast.  And, I have not noticed any hydrogen or gas odor
although I have not tried to detect excess gas in the trunk which could be
dangerous if there is a significant amount.

Regards,

Jeff

72 Tii
95 530 T