<E36> Brake Bleeding with Traction Control

Today I was helping a friend out with some maintenance on a 97 328i.
Changed engine oil, transmission oil and fuel filter.  The car has about 34K
on it and we were looking at the Bentley manual with regard to brake
bleeding.

It defines a procedure for cars without AST (i.e. traction control) but says
BMW must do it for cars with AST.  Reviewing the manual indicates that the
addition of AST is the throttle control actuator and more electronics to
control the ABS for the rear wheels when AST is on.  Aside from the
electronics controlling the ABS unit I cannot find any physical differences
in the brake system.
I have done brake fluid changes on many cars with ABS and never had a
problem.  My method is the vacuum pump method.

Why does the car need to go to BMW for a brake flush when it has AST?