Auto Box running hot & Shift lever postion sensor (E34) HELP!!

Hi all,
I have a 535I 89 with the auto box and it seems to me that it runs hot. When
I touch the metal part of the transmission selector it it VERY hot, almost I
can't touch it, and a lot of heat is coming from the transmission tunnel. Is
this normal? What can I check to see if everything is ok? Also does anybody
know where the Shift lever postion sensor is? I need to clean or adjusts the
contacts as the dash sometimes shows the reverse (R) gear as gear 3 and
gives a "TRANS PROGRAM+" error

TIA
TJ