Check Engine Light (E34)

Let me give you my $.02 cent input.

I had the same problem on my '99 323 (E46).
The check engine light stayed on for a few weeks after I took it to the dealer
for the one-year service (go figures).
I called the dealer a few times to get an answer, and all they said was that it
was due to a computer generated reaction and that it should go away
automatically in a few days, or the next time I put gas. They said it needed to
recycle a full gas tank.
I consumed a full gas tank, refilled and the light was still on.

Conclusion: I fixed the problem by turn off and on the All Season Traction
control. This somehow triggered the computer to react and adjust itself.
I suggest you try this if you car has the option or try some other features to
make the computer triggers.
JN