Update.......and still need help!

To all who know

I still need help figuring out/finding/replacing the part that controls the
Temp. gauge, fuel eff. gauge, and the RPM gauge, which I belief is the SI
board.

Here is what I know:

I have a 1987 528e, the temp. gauge, fuel eff. gauge, and RPM gauge do not
work.  I do not have a shop manual and I spent the better part of Sunday
taking it apart looking for some batteries that need to be replaced.

Here is what I do know:

I do not know what I am looking for and I now know how to take apart the
instrument panel in a 528e.  Supposedly there are batteries on the back of
the cluster, but I did not see any batteries.  Did I just miss them or has
somebody replaced the SI board already to a newer one that does not need
batteries?

What I need:

I would love for somebody to explain or enlighten me as how to fix the
problem!  PLEASE!  THANKS!

Brett

bdurante@domain.elided