E36 M3 Clutch feel (grabs at different points in stop and go traffic)

I've noticed that the clutch in my 95 M3 sometimes grabs very close
to the floor (especially in stop and go traffic), but other times it
grabs a few inches from the floor, which seems more normal.

I've put about 17,000 miles on this car in about 6 months, but I
still don't feel totally comfortable with the clutch feel; I can
never tell exactly how close the clutch is to grabbing.  In contrast,
the clutches in my old GTI 16V and my wife's Miata felt much easier
to modulate.   (The brake/clutch fluid was replaced and bled after I
bought the car, but that didn't seem to make much of a difference).

Just for the record, I've never owned an automatic, I double clutch
or heel and toe when downshifting at high revs, I never ride the
clutch at stop signs or lights, and my previous cars (all manuals)
got over 100k on their original clutches before the cars were sold or
the clutch was replaced for other reasons (I replaced the clutch in
my GTI 16V at 95k miles when the transmission failed, but the car now
has 105,000 miles on the second clutch).

How do folks think the E36 clutch feels compares to other cars?

Are the symptoms I'm describing merely a symptom of wear (this car
did get some serious Pro Solo use in its previous life), or is this
normal?

I've been meaning to drop by my local dealer to drive another E36,
but I haven't had a chance.

Thanks,
James
James McElroy