87 325es axel assembly

I have a ticking noise coming from the rear of my 87 325es.  The noise is
intermittent and has just returned after one year.  I took it to a dealer
last year who looked at it no-charge.  The mechanic put it on a lift and
checked it over for some time.  He said it was the right rear axle assembly
- -- that it looked like it might have been after market -- because it was
missing some decal or stamp???  After he played with it on the lift, the
noise went away for one year of driving.  He told me at the time that these
assemblys don't fail and that, since they are costly, I should look for a
used one.  It seems that if the axle is seated properly, the ticking goes
away.  If you put it on a lift, the noise will usually come back -- or go
away, depending.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem??  I am in the process of
locating a used axel assembly  -- am I asking for the right part??

Thanks in advance

Tom McPherson