RE: Audio question, part 3

Hello all,

Once again I have an audio-related query.  For those playing along at
home you will remember that I have recently had an Alpine navigation
system installed including a new head unit.  Currently the system is
too loud and radio reception has been reduced.  In my quest to lower
the level going into the hk amp, I was looking around behind the glove
box to see what options I might have.  While there I noticed several
things.

First of all, the installer cut off the blue wire (power antenna lead)
from the head unit and left it there (connected to nothing) and
connected the blue/white wire (remote power) from the head unit to the
white wire coming out of the wiring harness (power antenna lead).   I
think that this could be the why my radio reception went bad...is this
correct?  Where I get a little confused is if the antenna is still
getting power (via the remote power wire rather than the power antenna
lead) and the antenna wire is plugged into the head unit correctly
shouldn't the radio reception be working well?  FM stations come in
somewhat, but I get nothing at all on AM.  Also, what should the
remote power lead have been connected to?  Does anyone have a known
correct version of the wiring harness (or at least pinouts) for late
model E36s (mine is a '98 328is w/hk audio)?  The one at the
Unofficial E36 site doesn't correspond with some of the others I have
found.

Also, I can't get to the back of the head unit very well.  Can anyone
give me a clue or two as to how to get back there?

Thanks again for any assistance.

Chad Burkey