Wiper Malfunction

	Below is a message I plannned to send to the Digest.  Before I
could send it, I solved the problem, but it may be of interest to others
who may encounter the same problem with their wipers.

	Bless Teutonic thoroughness - when I opened the fusebox, every fuse
was clearly numbered and there was a corresponding
fuse-number-to-fuse-function chart on the inside cover of the box with
extra fuses and a fuse puller.

	Most impressive was the fact that two separate fuses control the
wipers.  If I have it straight, one fuse controls the high-speed wipe only;
the other fuse controls the low-speed wipe and intermittent wipe only.
Ergo, if one fuse blows, you are _never_ without wipers; you may not have
the speed you like, but at least you can clean the rain/snow off your
windshield.

	Don't you _love_ it when you get away with just replacing a fifty
cent fuse :->

	ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS:

	E34/M50  1992 525i.  Yesterday my wipers crapped out.  The wiper
control was set in the "normal" position; i.e.,the setting between
intermittent and high speed.  They just parked in a 45-degree position in
the middle of my windshield.

	Trying them in various settings, I discovered that they work on
high speed only.  They do not work in the "normal" speed, intermittent
speed, nor in the full-down position of the wiper control stalk that
produces just one swipe of the wipers across the windshield.

	Since they do work in the high-speed setting, I presume it's not a
wiper-motor but a wiper-switch problem.

	Am I going to be lucky and have someone tell me it's a fuse or
something simple, or is it going to be a new wiper switch for $100 or more?

	Many thanks,
	Bob G.

92 525i
96 328i