Re: 740i in Maryland

Stephen:

The brushless carwash is O.K. but beware.  Make sure that they are not using
detergents to wash cars, as this will strip any wax that you have on your
car off and dry out the paint.  Chances are that the carwash has no idea
what the pH of their wash is, however your car has been exposed to some very
harsh conditions, much more so than any brushless car wash.  I wouldn't do
this on a regular basis but you sure do want to get that salty grime off
your paint.  When I lived in harsh winter conditions I would use water from
the hot water heater and combine it with some cold water from the tap and
make a nice warm NOT HOT! bath for the car.  Use car wash and your mitt, but
dry with lint free 100% terry cloth towels with a deep knapp to keep from
scratching the paint.  This is were most Brushless Carwashes fail, they use
mitts by hand to remove the majority of the dirt but wind up putting towel
marks in your pain by using shop towels with no knapp to dry your car with(
major flaw).  These towel marks are often confused with swirl marks.  Hope
this helps, my solution was to move to Southern California!

Jason A. Everett
Product Development Chemist
Meguiar's, Inc.

'85 528e