RE: Traction control in snow

Re: Turning off the traction control to get "unstuck" in snow.

This is a must. I found out firsthand during last week's snowstorm that  a
little wheelspin can be a good thing. The spinning wheel "burns through" the
snow to the pavement below -- hopefully -- getting the car moving again.
(With the ASC turned on, the wheels are unable to spin.) Just remember to
switch the traction control back on once you're moving or you'll be
oversteering into oblivion...

Incidentally, I've found that snowtires are really worth the investment. My
E36 325i isn't the ideal snow car, but it easily clawed past several other
cars -- even front wheel drive cars -- that obviously didn't have their
snowshoes on!

Len Johnson
'94 325i (E36)
'85 325e (E30)