325 won't start mystery

I am pretty much a lurker in this Digest, not having a gret deal of auto
knowledge. At any rate, I now have a nonstarting 325i mystery.
The car is a 1995 325iA, Sport package, 50K miles. No problems with car,
starting not a concern at all til now. Situation: about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I
filled the car at my usual station, drove it home, ( 10 miles) and parked in
garage.  Didn't start the car at all for the above time period.
Battery has always been strong,  and is fairly new. Went out last night to
start and the battery was absolutely dead. Which is strange, and unexpected.
I live in a cold climate, but this car has sat before in the cold with no
battery problems. So I charged for a few hours - car turned over and seemed
like it was trying to start, but wouldn't.  Battery ran down, so we jumped it
- - cranked and cranked, no start.
This morning, after sitting all night, same scenario - cranks and tries  to
start, but no go. I sprayed some starting ether into  it, but to no avail.
So, the question is, if the battery goes entirely dead for some reason, would
this mess up the computer or anything?  Car just seems on the verge of
starting, - just so close, coughs, tries to run, but nada. So it is probably
getting spark, and fuel, and the fuel in it was drivin 10 miles after fillup
with no problem.
Help...!
TIA,
Norm B.