E-36 Performance Questions...

Good Morning,

I am looking for D A T A on performance possibilities for the E-36 platform.
All questions relate to ODB-2 cars ONLY.

I have asked many questions and gotten many conflicting answers, from laymen
and professional racers alike.

Drive Train:  What is the nomenclature for the transmission in the E-36, 3
series 328, 328is and M3?  How does the gearing differ?  I took mine to the
track and noticed a substantial RPM drop from 2nd to 3rd at high RPM.

Intake:  Not considering forced induction, which modifications (if any) make
sense in increasing torque below 4K RPM?  There are at least two
commercially available intake system modifications available over the
counter today.  Do they really DO ANYTHING (Dinan/Comforti)?

Is there any truth to the rumor that converting to a "Mass Air" unit will
increase low end (below 4K RPM) torque?  Is there a commercially available
cam setup that has an appreciable effect on low end torque?  Are the "big
valve" heads on the market worth considering? Most advertise an increase of
2mm to 4mm.

Obviously, the goal being to cram as much air/fuel mix into the cylinder as
possible per stroke.

Exhaust:  It seems that the 1996 and later 3 series factory headers are a
good performer.  Is the average $1,000.00 cat back system going to gain any
torque or rear wheel horsepower (grunt), really?

Braking:  Does the conversion of the E-36/3 series rear brakes to E-46/3
serice vented disks have a noticeable increase in stopping force?  Do either
drilled or slotted rotors provide any REAL effect?

Weight Reduction:  Other than replacing body panels with carbon fibre or
aluminum components are there other ways to reduce weight without adversely
effecting handleing?

Tires & Rims:  What are the wieghts of the various E-36/3 series rims?
Calculation of rotating force, etc...

To Chip or not to Chip:  Any word on the "Pro-Gram" style of software
management/upgrade?

Robert M. Thomas
Chief Technology Officer
Matrix Direct, Inc.