RE: ignition lock replacement

"Ron Buchalski" <rbuchals@domain.elided> sez:

> >From: Tim Stiles <tstiles@domain.elided>
> >Subject: Re: ignition lock replacement
> >
> >How did the dealer cut a key for a 12 year old car and no
> >key to match?
>
> I believe that the dealer can make a new key if you gave them
> the number sequence for the key.

Absolutely true: the VIN + (sometimes) prove of ownership will get you a new
key at the dealer.
What's more, the keys for the older (pre-driveway protection) bimmers are
dirt cheap. I had one made 4 years ago from a pile of blanks for $5 in VA.
Was looking to get a spare a few months ago and local TX dealers now want
$15 + tax.

alex f