the need for speed

Ok all you car-techies, I had my first drag race with a guy last night (I
think it was against a Mustang--was night, therefore dark, and I was
concentrating on my driving.  I did well in my M Roadster, neck and neck all
the way.  Was talking to a friend of mine and he told me I need to learn to
power-shift and explained it to me.  Everytime I shifted, I was releasing the
gas; what he explained was that I should keep the gas pedal down while
shifting to keep the RPMs up.  Also, that I wasn't bringing it to high enough
RPMs, red line isn't starting until 6500, yet I didn't go past 4500.  He felt
that I should get the revs up to more around 5000, 5500.

What do you guys think?  What's the effect on my car in doing these things?
I know they're not things I can do everyday.  But like if I let it out once a
week?  (Don't want to be in and out of the shop all the time ;)

Also, right now all the things that I have on/in the car are all the
standard, out of the factory stuff.  What upgrades, etc, could I get that
would give me the most bang for my buck?  For example, if there was something
that would only cost me a couple hundred and would really help performance
(whatever), please suggest!

Thanks,
Glenn