<E39> Need help: Too much lumbar support in seats

I just returned from Munich where I picked up my new 540iA; What an
excellent machine.  On the downside, the seats were very uncomfortable for
my lower back.  The excessive amount of very stiff lumbar support caused me
considerable discomfort on trips over 1/2 hour.  This 540iA has the standard
heated seats and does not have the lumbar option.

Does anyone have any suggestions for rectifying this problem? I have
formulated some ideas for resolution and would really appreciate any
feedback that anyone can provide.  I believe that the lumbar area build-up
is a combination of a square section of foam / cloth and either a strong
spring and/or bladder. Is it possible that the bladder that represents the
lumbar option is included on this seat and can, in some way, be adjusted
eventhough there are no buttons?

Is it possible this is a defective seat? I found the passenger seat to be
slightly better, but still uncomfortable.  I assumed that was just the way
it was designed

If this lumbar support is just a strong spring, is it possible to remove
and/or adjust this spring through disassembly of the seats? How difficult
would this be? Can you point me to a procedure for removal of the seat back
and other required components?  I think that I would be able to fabricate a
softer spring if that is the problem and I can get to it.  However,
experienced tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your gracious assistance.

Larry