Thing in the fuel line

Hi, I have an 83 528e.  There is a brass colored canister that was in my fuel
line right before the line goes to the injectors. It looks like a fuel filter
but I can see right through it.  A guy at the autoparts store called it an
"accumulator'?  He said it balances the pressure in the fuel line.  Mine had a
piece of something in it,
metal, when I shook it I could hear it rattle around in there and sometimes see
it.  I thought maybe that
thing inside should not be there but I couldn't get it out, the autoparts store
didn't have another part like it
to compare to, so I removed it from the line and replaced it with a longer peice
of fuel injector tubing.  Can
I do without it?

Mike