Auto X advice

I have an '85 535 E28 that I auto-xed for the first time last year.  I did
pretty well but would like to add some upgrades for this season.  I need
advice on the perfomance upgrades I can put on, stay in class and the
relative benefits.

I already have a chip and plus one wheels.  I am going to add M5 sway bars.
As for the rest, I can stay within the class by adding sport shocks, springs
and a stress bar and running on my street tires OR adding Bilstein HD and
converting to R compound tires. If I do it all, I move up to the next class.

Which should give me the best auto-x performance?  Does anyone have any
experience in lowering an E28 with 16" wheels?  I know there will be a
clearance problem with the rear fender, but other than that is it worth
making the change?

Thanks,

Bob Hughes