Good day with E30 front wheel hub/bearing

Dear all,

After enduring several months of increasingly loud howling, I finally got
around to replacing the front wheel hub/bearing on my '85 325.  I was
dreading the job because the Bentley manual mentioned a special tool for
pressing the assembly back onto the spindle.

The work was almost enjoyable.  Finding the 36mm wrench for the spindle nut
took some time (Sears, $7 - FLAPS wanted $13).  After the brake caliper,
brake disk, and spindle nut were removed, I bolted the wheel back on and
pulled/rocked the hub off.  The inner race stayed on the spindle though -
sigh.  I didn't have a puller small enough to fit, so I took a lunch break.
Afterwards, I unbolted the brake cooling shroud (sheet metal) and the ABS
magnetic sensor.  Then, I soaked a rag in ice water and wrapped the wet
mass on the spindle.  I applied heat from a propane torch to the inner
race, keeping the wet icy rag on the spindle.  After a few seconds of heat,
I easily slipped the race off with a pair of locking pliers.  The icy rag
kept the spindle cool enough to touch.

I started the new hub back on by tapping on the inner race, using the 35mm
socket as a drift. Eventually, the hub was on far enough to thread on the
new spindle nut. It pressed home easily with the spindle nut.

The hub/bearing kit from Bavarian Autosport was very nice - all the parts I
needed, delivered in a few days.

This job was easy compared to replacing the front bearing on an Audi, and
the results are very satisfying - a quiet car!  I think rear bearings on
the BMW will be like the Audi front bearing, a real pain.

Sincerely,

John Hung
Auburn, AL
'86 325e ... 150K+ and running smooth!