<E28> Howl you like my wheel bearings?

So it's time to replace one of (I know, I know...) the front wheel bearings in
my '86 528e, and it seems I can only purchase the front hub assembly as
opposed to simply replacing the wheel bearings themselves. This, of course,
goes right against my cheap bastard nature of replacing only the worn out
stuff as opposed to replacing the worn out stuff plus that really expesnively
made part that holds the worn out stuff but never wears out itself.

I've replaced plenty of wheel bearings in other cars, pressing (or knocking,
before I had access to a press) the old races from the hub, cleaning
everything up, packing the bearing, pressing/knocking new races in, and
adjusting them. Okay, so I can't adjust these bearings, but... why am I not
finding just the bearings for sale? What's so hard about pressing some races
into a hub?

Of course, I wouldn't be bitching about this if hub assemblies weren't so
freaking expensive. Maybe I should have bought a Saturn. ;-)

End of bmw-digest V9 #1341