'89 735i Overheat

Please help me out this problem ASAP, my wife's 1989 735i engine temp is
overheat.  I like to see if I can do something about it before I send it in
to the shop and spend that much of money.
The car was Ok, until one day we noticed that the Engine Temp gauge went to
the "RED" zone, and I open up the hood, the fan is working.  What's the
possibility causing the overheat? I heared that 735i has this problem very
common, and I like to know if I can do something about it myself.
Thanks in advance.
Aaron
aaronliu168@domain.elided