Help: 1985 535i - I Got The Hesitation Blues!

A few days ago we had some nasty rain.  After traveling through the mess my
535i started hesitating badly.

The gas tank was full prior to the rain, I've replaced the distributor cap
and rotor to no avail, and I don't know what to try next.

The car stumbles badly below 3,000 - 3,500 RPM, but seems to run okay if you
give it full throttle.  Needless to say, this is not an economical way to
drive the car.  If I let it idle it will stall after 10 - 15 seconds.

What should I check next?

Thanks in advance,

Marv
- --