RE: Apparent Overheating E30?

"Gary Asmussen" <GARYA@domain.elided> asks"

> Symptoms are car takes about 5-10 mins to reach 1/2 a needle
> width under half way on gauge- Normal.

yep.

> Then at random intervals will climb to 3/4 or just under and
> then return to just above 1/2. If I tap the perspex cover it
> will sometimes click back to just under 1/2.

I bet your temp gauge ground is flaky.
Take out the instrument cluster (see Bentley or keep removing all the screws
around the cluster until it comes out. Move the steering wheel to 10 o'clock
position and you can wiggle the cluster out of the dash without removing the
wheel). Remove the instrument cluster cover (8-10 Philips screws on the
back) and retighten the nut that holds the temp gauge to the instrument
cluster. The nut also doubles as a ground. Once every other year in will
work itself loose and result in a jumpy temp gauge.

> Could it be the temp sender unit or the gauge itself?

Sure. The 'sender unit' is a $15 sensor that screws into the front of the
intake manifold behind the thermostat housing (either blue or brown: one is
for the temp gauge, the other for DME input).

> I have perfromed the following tasks and still have a higher than
> normal albeit erratic temp gauge reading.
> 1 Replace radiator with new one
> 2 Flush block and replace all hoses.
> 3 Thermostat is new and operates fine.
> 4 Installed new water pump and V-Belt.
> 5 Elevated front of vehicle and refilled coolant (40:60 Glycol/H2O),
> taking great  care to remove all trapped air. Including bleeding off
> thermostat drain screw etc.
>
> Gary Asmussen
> Perplexed DIY Beamer Buff.
> Brisbane, Australia