RE: recovering cloth seats

> My seats in my 91 318is are wearing out. I was wondering if
> anyone has any advice on how to get it fixed. I have a
> feeling just from glancing at it that each section is held
> in separately. I was thinking that I could probably buy
> the material from somewhere on the internet.

Indeed. Start by getting in touch with Stephen at South BMW Parts:
parts@domain.elided
I got my indigo blue buttom seat cover for $48 (E30 'comfort' seat). Color,
shape and texture match are OEM (perfect).

> Any idea on how much it would cost to recover 3 or four
> sections of my seat.

	Mark, it sounds like you have 'sport' E30 seats.
	My 'comfort' seats consist of only two pieces: top == back of the
seat, and bottom. Replacing the bottom cover is pure hell. Imagine clutching
the seat cushion 1" from your face as you thread the new cover onto it,
inhaling all the crap that it was exposed to over the last 9 years. For
hours... This was arguably the most aggravating, time-consuming job I ever
performed on my e30. You will need at least a full evening, an incredible
reserve of patience and two pairs of hands to thread the new cover's hooks
and folds onto the seat cushion rails.  Access to slave child labor is
highly recommended.
	This is one project I would not undertake again. Ever.
	One the other hand, the newly re-upholstered driver's seat looks and
functions a lot better. The end result almost justifies the effort, but I
would first try to sucker a professional upholstery shop into this job.

alex f