Brake Lining Warning Light

Ever since I took my "new" M3 to Dinan for a pre-purchase inspection the
brake lining warning light is on. First it flickered and now its on all the
time.  Picked up some Perf. Friction Carbon Metallic pads for the front and
installed them today. Turns out the unknown brand front pads were in good
shape but I like the PF pads better so I put them on.  May hit Laguna Seca
in 2 weeks so I need them anyhow.  I can't buy the rears until another
store opens back up on Monday but I'm wondering if someone could give me a
quick run down on brake lining warning light system?  Saw the sensor on the
left front today while changing the pads. TIA