Swapping sport seats

This should be of interest to just about everyone:

The other day while I had the passenger side seat out of my '87 535is
(had to transport a large Jade plant... one of my other hobbies), I
started thinking... (you guys all know this one, the 'while I'm at
it...' thought process?)  Could I just go ahead and take the driver's
seat out and swap it with the passenger seat?  Hmmm... a practically new
seat for a 166k miler... sounds like it might work.  Well, guess what.
It DOES work!  If you're interested in hearing more, read on.

How long does it take?  Straight in and out = 1 hour.  But, while you
have the seats out, it sure is a good time to do the following:

1) clean and treat the leather (extra 1-2 hours)
2) clean those black rails the seats sit on, because the inside rails
that you didn't worry too much about cleaning, 'cause who could see them
anyway (?)... well, they are now on the OUTSIDE, and you'll want to
clean them up real good (extra 1 hour)
3) vacuum the carpet under the seats real good (1/2 hour)
4) interruptions (extra 1-6 hours)

Only downside to this change: you may end up leaving the switches for
the small seat pad front bolsters (on sport seats) where they are, and
now they'll be on the inside instead of the outside, but they're still
easy to use.  You just don't get that extra piece of black plastic trim
along the outer edge of the seat now.  You COULD change them over, but I
was afraid of breaking the front clip, and not being able to find new
ones.  Also, it still looks fine without them.

One WARNING: be careful swapping the seat belts over, as the seat back
hinges there, and you don't want it to fall and/or get out of whack.
Also, to do a fit and finish job, you'll want to have a few very small
(2mm wide?) cable ties handy, as you'll have to cut a few underneath
your seats.

IMPRESSION after the swap:  WOW! ...like having a brand new seat!  I'd
sat in the passenger seat many times, of course, but didn't get the full
effect until I sat there with the 'new' seat on the driver's side, with
the steering wheel in my hands, and feet on the pedals.  As my driver's
seat was rather worn down, I noticed right away that the bolsters hugg
better, and it sits SO much more firmly!  (Heh, heh, heh... now I can do
more 'performance' upgrades, and wait till sometime later to have the
seats recovered ;)

Only REGRET: that I didn't do this every two or three years, as regular
maintenance!!!!!!!!!!  Then I'd have two seats in reasonably good
condition, rather that one seat worn almost completely out, and one
practically new!  This really should be in the owners' manual as a
regular maintenance item!

FINAL RECOMMENDATION: Do it today!  Email me directly for questions.

Ken Mitchell
'87 535is
'80 528i