Brakes & Subframe Bushings

Subject: 535i / 840 brake question
Hi,
I have an 87 535i with front brakes from an 840 (not sure what year). I
recently took the car to my former mechanic, and asked about replacing
the front pads with a good pad other than the extremely dusty factory
pads. He said that he'd replace them with Repco Deluxe and turn the
front rotors. Well, he turned the rotors (now down to the minimum), but
left the factory pads because he said that Repco or Axxis (sp?) doesn't
make them for an 840. I talked to another shop yesterday and they said
that if you don't have the same type on both front and back, the ABS
wouldn't work properly. And yet another shop said when they replace the
pads (and they always use originals) they also turn the rotors to match
the pads.
		I replace the rotors if they are within .5mm of the minimum spec. Your
mechanic should have "miked" the rotors before cutting them...he apparently
went too deep with his lathe.  Perhaps he'll credit the machining fee
towards new rotors which will cost approx $100/side. You need to confirm if
you have the Brembo or ATE E31 brakes...pads and rotors are different. I've
only been able to find factory Jurid pads for this car...no PBR/Axxis pads
are available. ABS is unaffected by brake pads.

The same former mechanic was to replace the rear subframe bushings. I
was quoted 2.5 hours if he had the right tool. If not, it would take
almost 5 hours. He worked on the car for more than a day and a half, and
he only replaced one side. I'm now trying to find another shop to finish
the job, but I'm being told by multiple shops that they'll do both sides
only because if the subframe bushings aren't installed properly, there's
a good chance they'll crack. Any thoughts on this one?
			You can rent the factory installation tool set for approx $30/day
($75/week) with the purchase of the bushings.  Definitely do both sides
unless one was changed recently. With the right tools, a good mechanic can
do the job in under 1 hour per side....even if you purchase the tool set
for around $250.00, the tool pays for itself with the first use.  SD
Steve D'Gerolamo - The Ultimate Garage
201-262-0412 / steved3@domain.elided / http://www.ultimategarage.com