<E30> Searching for cause of low rumble......

Hey all, long time no speak.

My bimmer's rapidly approaching 200K! Woohoo! It's an '87 325e. I'm starting
to run into some problems however, which is why I come to you, the experts.
The scenario:

The engine is idling just fine at a stop light. Light goes green and I rev
the engine a bit and disengage the clutch. As I feed it more gas, if feel a
constant vibration and hear a low rumble sound that seems to be emitting
from the back half of the car. I engage the clutch or take my foot off the
gas and the noise and the vibration goes away. It is most pronounced between
1800 and 3000 RPM, seeming to level off as the revolutions go above the 3k
mark.

Now, I talked to a friend who knows cars pretty well about the issue. He
said that it is most likely the U-joints. Are there any other suggestions
please?? Also, could you tell me an approximate cost for your suggestions.
Money's a bit tight right now so I have not had the chance to take it to a
shop to be looked at. I do know that my transmission and engine mounts need
to be replaced.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!! Please don't hesitate to send me a
personal email.

D A V E   M Y R O N
Site Builder
USWeb/CKS     http://www.uswebcks.com/
550 Kirkland Way, Suite 300
Kirkland, WA 98033
ph:  +1 425 739 7409  -  fax:  +1 425 739 8001
mailto:dmyron@domain.elided

"If you saw two guys named Hambone and Flippy, which one
would you think liked dolphins the most? I'd say Flippy, wouldn't
you? You'd be wrong, though. It's Hambone."
- - Jack Handey