535i / 840 brake question

Hi,

I have an 87 535i with front brakes from an 840 (not sure what year). I
recently took the car to my former mechanic, and asked about replacing
the front pads with a good pad other than the extremely dusty factory
pads. He said that he'd replace them with Repco Deluxe and turn the
front rotors. Well, he turned the rotors (now down to the minimum), but
left the factory pads because he said that Repco or Axxis (sp?) doesn't
make them for an 840. I talked to another shop yesterday and they said
that if you don't have the same type on both front and back, the ABS
wouldn't work properly. And yet another shop said when they replace the
pads (and they always use originals) they also turn the rotors to match
the pads. Well the rotors can't be turned any more, so they'd have to
replace them. Does anyone have any suggestions. Are they're any 840
owners or knowledgeable BMW mechanics on the list that might know if
what I'm being told is true.

The same former mechanic was to replace the rear subframe bushings. I
was quoted 2.5 hours if he had the right tool. If not, it would take
almost 5 hours. He worked on the car for more than a day and a half, and
he only replaced one side. I'm now trying to find another shop to finish
the job, but I'm being told by multiple shops that they'll do both sides
only because if the subframe bushings aren't installed properly, there's
a good chance they'll crack. Any thoughts on this one?

Help!
Regards,
Rick Paulin
paulin@domain.elided