Re: 325iC

Lorenzo,

>Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 01:08:06 EST
>From: Lorenzo141@domain.elided
>Subject: (no subject)
>
>Hello all,
>
>Well, I took the advice from those that wrote back to me about the '90
>325ic...it's mine now. So, naturally, I have a few questions.

Congratulations!

>The first has to do with the rear power windows. I presume, from the E-mail
>and research I have done, that they are not working due to the switch on
>the
>console and not the motor. How do I know this for sure? If it is the
>switch,
>does anyone have step-by-step instructions to replace it?

The easiest way to find out if the switch is bad is to remove swap the
suspect switch with a switch that works.  If the window starts working, then
the switch is bad.  I'm not familiar with the 325iC, but my E30 318i
(four-door) has power windows on all four doors, and windows have a
"breaker" which will open if a window motor overloads. It can be pushed to
reset it.  Mine's located in the dashboard, along the line of switches which
includes the radio fader knob.  Check it out.

>Secondly, the driver door keyhole is faulty; the key can be turned around
>and
>around in the same direction and never triggers the lock mechanism. I know
>the motor works; when I use the trunk lock, it has no problem locking and
>unlocking. Does anything need to be replaced in this case? If so, again,
>are
>there step-by-step instructions to take the door panels off, etc.?

The driver's door lock on my E30 318i broke several years ago.  I purchased
a new lock cyliner kit from the dealer (~$30, I believe), and replaced it.
The lock cylinder comes with a set of tumblers so you can code the lock to
match your key.  The tumblers have numbers on them (1,2,3,4, if I remember
correctly), and they merely need to be installed in the proper order.  So,
if you don't have the key code for your locks, _carefully_ disassemble the
existing lock cylinder and write down the order of the tumblers.  The cool
thing is you'll now have the key number sequence for future use.

Disassembling the door panel is fairly straightforward.  It's described well
in the Bentley manual.  You'll need to remove the armrest, the power mirror
switch, the trim piece around the door lever, and then pry the door panel
from the door.  It's held in place with several plastic fasteners which pop
into holes in the door.  Once the panel is off, you'll find a plastic sheet
to seal the door from the interior.  Carefully peel off the plastic sheet
and don't get any dirt on the glue, and you'll be able to reattach it when
you're done.

Once the plastic sheet is off, you'll see the door lock mechanism.  There
will be a rod attaching it to the door latch.  I don't remember the details
for removing/replacing it (again, it's documented in Bentley, and it's
fairly obvious what to do when you see it).

>Next, I need to replace a few backlights in the instrument cluster. Please
>offer step-by-step instructions to take the dash apart and where the
>location
>of the lights are, etc. I have done this in my '75 2002, so if it is
>similar,
>I know that I will have no problem.

The disassembly procedure is in the Bentley manual.  You'll need to remove
the knee bolster under the driver's side of the dashboard to get behind the
instrument panel.  The backlights are scattered around the instrument
cluster.  Most of them are small bulbs fixed inside black or green plastic
sockets, and are removed by twisting them 1/4 turn.  Buy extras (they're
cheap).   You'll need to get these from the dealer.

>And finally, what exactly does the indicator light panel above the rear
>view

That should be your Check Control display.  The Check Control Computer
checks on the status of lights, windshield washer fluid, etc. and will light
an indicator when one of them needs attention.  Check your owner's manual
for more info.

You should buy the Bentley E30 3-Series manual.  It's absolutely the best
car repair manual that I've ever owned.  It's even better that the Bentley
E34 manual that I also own.

Good luck,

- -rb