<E30>new owner questions

Lorenzo asks:

>The first has to do with the rear power windows. I presume, from the E-mail

>and research I have done, that they are not working due to the switch on
the
>console and not the motor. How do I know this for sure? If it is the
switch,
>does anyone have step-by-step instructions to replace it?

I have an E28, so bear with me...if you have the square black button between
the drivers side windows, just pull it out and test it with a multimeter.
If you cannot pull it out, remove the shift boot and push it out from the
back.  Your window buttons should have backlights as well.  If the buttons
are backlit and they still do not work, it is the motors.  However, it is
unlikely that BOTH motors are bad.  I'll bet it is this aforementioned
switch.

>Secondly, the driver door keyhole is faulty; the key can be turned around
and
>around in the same direction and never triggers the lock mechanism.

The door panels just pull off.  On an E28 you have to first undo the top
vinyl section (always black in color) by undoing a couple screws and pushing
up and pulling off.  Then you just pop the door panel off.  Be careful doing
this because you can damage where the panel holds the vinyl clips in.  You
will then need to pull back the clear plastic weatherstrip stuff.  Take a
look, it should be a clip that fell off the back of the mechanism.  Look for
the lost clip at the bottom of the door panel.

>Next, I need to replace a few backlights in the instrument cluster. Please
>offer step-by-step instructions to take the dash apart and

If your E30 is like the E28, you only have two lights behind the center
console instrument cluster....those two bulbs light is dispersed through
clear plastic material around to your different areas.  You will most likely
need to pull the radio to get to these.  Other listers can please correct me
if I am wrong since I am basing this on E28 information.

>And finally, what exactly does the indicator light panel above the rear
view
>mirror do?

It is an information center for different systems like the brake lights,
license plate lights, engine coolant level, etc.  If the system is down, a
red LED will illuminate.

Alex Cagann
1988///M5