Frozen hood "catch" (latch mechanism)

Hello:
The hood latch mechanism on my '87 325 does not catch and I cannot secure
the hood in the shut position. I recall this being a problem on my X'78
530i, especially in cold weather (the recent problem of the "frozen" catch
mechanism appeared during the last cold spell in Chicago). The hood release
lever seems to have tension at the point where it attaches to the cable and
the cable to the release does not seem to have snatched. Both of my manuals
only talk about adjusting the "preload" knobs on the four hood corners which
(no surprise) I cannot find. Unfortunately, I do not have the factory shop
manual (I still have the 320i shop manual and wonder if it could be of help
with the latch assembly on the E30).

If anyone can help me with a step by step troubleshoot and fix, I will be
indebted! The holidays call for some light travelling and my bouncing hood
under high speed is not only unsightly and un-aero but also a potential
hazard.

I would greatly appreciate if you would reply to me directly at
blueide@domain.elided. I tend to often loose track of digests and this is info
I would hate to miss. Thanks a million in advance!

Leo ('87 325 w/ 182K - would like to see it turn 200K, if the body and
auxiliary systems would only cooperate!)