Cold start problem E34 2l 24v

My 2 litre 1991 E34 with 142K miles is playing up, not badly but ....

When starting from cold I can not leave the gas peddle alone as the book states.
The car sort of fires but will not run on.
I have to catch it with the gas peddle and hold a few revs on just for 10-15
seconds or so.  It is fine after this.

Dribbling injectors?
Duff HT leads?
Plugs?

This may also be happening in the 1.8 motor too.
The other half has problem if I run hers for a couple of seconds to get it out
of the way and then leave it for her to move about 30mins later.
Maybe it thinks it warm?

Please respond to ...  wigg@domain.elided
due to the holidays
Have a good one!