Stiff first gear, E36 M3.

The owner of my ex-95 M3 had a similar problem, resulting in grinding
sometimes when shifting, but I had installed a clutch in it before the sale.
Upon looking into the problem for him the first thing I noticed was that the
shifter in his M3 seemed too easy to move around, especially when compared to
my '99 Z3 coupe's shifter, which was much stiffer.  My conclusion was that
his shifter had too much play in it and was causing the problem by allowing
misalignment.

We replaced the plastic shifter-ball cup and other shifter rod bushings.  The
problem was resolved.  UUC can supply you with the OEM ball cup and their
delrin shift rod bushing for under $40.  However, the only other possible
source of the problem would be that your tranny has bad 1st gear synchro's,
for which the only solution is replacement/overhaul.

Mark Sipe