Re: Driving Ethics

Ok I have to say something about this.
I don't think its a good idea to tell the government we want laws against
stupid, discourteous, or pre-occupied drivers.
I can talk, drive, use indcators and be courteous at twice the speed most
people can.  I don't use my phone unless it is an emergency or I'm in stop
and go because it takes away from driving--which I love.
You hit the nail on the head with the kids.  If anything we should make a
drivers license represent a skill and a previledge not a prooof of age.  But
I don't agree that kids are inherently bad drivers.  What rookies often lack
in experience they make up for ten-fold in adaptablility.  If you want to
make a good driver, your chances are much better starting with a teen.
If we regarded a license as a previlegde we wouldn't have the problem with
poorly maintained cars.  America has the mentality that driving is a right
and if your car is below par that is acceptable because its America's
responsibility to you that you be mobile.  It doesn't occur to people that
it is ther responsibility to pilot a safe vehicle.  Any car that passed
inspection within the year has a god given right to be on the road.
As for driving skills and styles, bring them on.  I'll deal with the
discourteous punk on my own terms.
Our roads have the greatest variances in the industrialized world.  There is
more difference in vehicle weight, size, speed, performance and driver
ablity, preoccupation, age, sobriety than any other country.  Being pissed
because everybody isn't white, driving solo, in a bmw with 50 series yokos
isn't going to get you anywhere.
You can change the menality you encounter on the road.  In my bmw I teach
with my driving ability and the the cars performance.  In my truck, I teach
with size (and sometimes performance).  I like the wild west feel of our
roads and they work remarkably better than our court system.  Lets deal with
each other without the lawyers and excess laws.  BTW, I think speed limits
would be the first victim of any kind of "road-reform."
Show  me a pos yugo in the right lane whose driver is breaking up with his
boyfriend on cell phone and I'm fine.  Show me a perfectly maintained bmw in
the left lane speeding up when he sees somebody trying to get around him and
I'm going to run him off the road.
Please excuse the political incorrectness and the spelling.
BTW, I do obey two traffic laws religeously--stoping for school buses and
20mph school zones.--I'll scare the crap out of the kids once they are
properly defended with a car around them and 14 inch speakers--better to
sneak up on--after all I could have been an ambulance.
Doss