RE:"clean wheels" covers

My dealership is trying to sucker me into getting those brake covers for the
brake dust.  My friend who is a master wrench at bmw said that they increase
the heat of the brakes thereby increasing squealing and wear of the pads
themselves.  I can see how that can happen by not allowing sufficient air
flow or restriction thereof.  My question is thus;  can this decrease
stopping ability as well?  If anybody has any experience with these covers,
let me know.  Also, they want $300 for them!

Thanks.

Dr. Scott E. Brunengraber
'00 323i