Help with replacement of drive shaft in my 1984 325e

This last weekend I  tried to replace the center bearing on my 1984 325e and
ran in to a lot of problems any help would be great

1st... 	Problem was once the drive shaft is detached from the axel in the
rear of car how does it come out from the fount. There are three nut's and
three bolt heads I would 	start to turn them and they would feel like
they are hand loose but in les then 1/8 of a turn they would tighten back
up. I also tried to split the drive shaft in the middle 	by the
(don't know if it is called this but split nut  the nut that holds the two
pieces of the axel together)
2nd...	Do not know once the drive shaft is out how to take the old and very
messed up center bearing and housing off and replace with my new bearing and
housing.
3rd...	Is this all I need to do or is there any thing else I should be
careful of?

Thanks to every one that has helped me out in the past
David Mc Guire
1984 325e