E30 Clutch Mystery

Hi digesters

I have a 1991 E30 325i. I started noticing that every now and again the
clutch was taking at different positions. Sometimes it would release and
take right at the bottom and then be fine for a while. There is no real
patten to this happening, but I do notice that it is more prone to happen
when I have been  accellerating at more than  usual torque in first gear. I
have check the hydraulics,  thought it was the slave cylinder and replaced
it, but the problem remained. Then, having again inspected the master
cylinder, I decided that the only remaining alternative would be to take out
the gearbox and see what is going on.  Having taken it out,  the only
problem I could see is that the spline shaft is chalk dry and has a brownish
residue on it - sort of like fine rust dust - the shaft itself did not look
rusted, I wiped it clean easily. Do you guys think the dry shaft could have
caused the funny clutch behaviour ? One other thing perhaps, I do feel that
the clutch is a bit heavy, but can see no apparent reason for it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated !

Rudolf Kruger
1991 325i