Re: 1987 325 Brake Lining light problem

I just purchased a 1987 325 w/117,000 miles.  The car is in great
condition.  However, today, after checking the air pressure on all 4
tires, after starting the automobile, the on-board computer had the
"Brake Lining" LED on, and the engine was making a weird noise.  I was
lucky to get it to my house, as the car had no power.  After arriving at
my house, I left the engine running, popped the hood, and noticed that
the noise was coming from the passenger's side of the engine, with a
little smoke.  I shut down the engine, then restarted it, and, oddly
enough, the engine ran fine, the LED was not on.  I let it sit for about
an hour, then restarted it, and proceeded to drive the car, and there
was no problem.  Am I in for some serious problem down the road?  Really
appreciate your responses.
Regards,
Bob P.