New drift without any "incident"

my '91 325i (48k mi) has Mich MXV4's on the front, w/3000 miles, alignment
done at that time, as a tie rod (right side) was replaced at that time.  Car
drove straight as an arrow and without any shimmy at any speed up to about
80-83 mph.  A couple of weeks ago, the car exhibited a slight pull to the
right (would change a lane in about 300 feet).  Turn the steering wheel to
the left about 20-25 degrees, car drives straight, no problems, but you have
to maintain this orientation.  Problem lasted one day and then disappeared.

Same problem reappeared a couple of days later and stayed now for about 2
weeks.  There was no "giant pothole" or other incident that we know of.
Scrupulous about maintaining proper air pressure (32 psi cold), and of
course the problem is independent of wind, road crown, etc.

I don't know if it is related, but see a very slow drip (not visible
dripping, just a drop formed there and no drops on ground over course of 2
days)  from the box where the rack and pinion meet.

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

End of bmw-digest V9 #1275