SI battery fixed

Thanks to all who responded to my "newbie" questions
last week.  I got my Bentley manual from B&N.com and
the tech info from the list archives.  The local BMW
dealer informed me that they couldn't get the
batteries, only a new board.  I went to Radio Shack
and found Hi-Capacity NI-Cads rated at 1000mAH.  Those
should last a while.  They had only "normal" contacts,
so I pried the welds loose on the original battery
mounts and soldered them on to the new batteries.
Taking the inst. cluster out was easy.  Since I had
read the archives, I knew that I didn't have to remove
the steering wheel.  It is a snug fit but it does come
out.  The only problem I encountered was reinstalling
the panel below the cluster.  The nut that fits
between the steering column and the console is a
little awkward to get to, so naturally I dropped it
down into the console.  Oh well, the area under the
console needed vacuumed anway.  My Instrument panel
now works again.  Only thing I haven't done is reset
the service indicator.  I will do that when I change
the oil.
Thanks again to all who helped, including those who
keep up the archives.

Jim Leach
1987 325
Oceanside, Ca.