Alignment Problem Solved

BMW Digest,

Recently I queried you about my alignment problem in the following message:

>The steering on my '89 535i drifts continuously to the right when driving
straight.  This occurs regardless of side winds or side of road crown.  I
had the front realigned (the tire dealer said that the rear of an 1989 535i
cannot be adjusted).  This did not work, so I had new Michelin Pilots
installed and it still drifts.

>Constantly haveing to steer to the left to correct this is frustrating.
My '88 325 does not have this problem - it drives straight as an arrow.

>Any solutions or suggestions to alleviate this problem?

I finally deserted my clueless local mechanic and went to the local
authorized BMW dealer.  They diagnosed the problem as the castor being
outside of specs due to a slightly bent right front wishbone, and replaced
it.  Presto, the problem went away, and I actually enjoy driving my 535i.

Apropos, the dealer noted that my local mechanic overtightened my new
muffler when installing it.  The dealer claimed that the clamping screws
should be backed off 1 and 1/2 turns, to allow for heating/expansion.  They
also resealed the transmission, which began leaking again within a couple
of hundred miles of the local mechanic's attempted reseal; they speculated
that the local did not use Locktite (sp?).  We'll see.

Anyway, though I paid big bucks for this work, I got some comfort working
with a mechanic with 20 years BMW experience who showed interest in his work.

Jim Lofgren

End of bmw-digest V9 #1272