BMW 528E

While driving my 1985 528E I get a pulsation when the brakes are
applied.  I expected that it was time again for pads and rotors.  I also
experienced a bad vibration when the vehcile exceeds 40 mph.  Maybe a
wheel out of balance? When I arrived home visible smoke and a burning
odor was seen eminating  from the right front wheel.   Any ideas why the
smoking occurred?  Could this be a bad wheel bearing?  Any ideas would
be appreciated before I have the car fixed.  I expect that I will have
to replace pads, rotors, and wheel bearings.  What have I missed?  Any
suggestions on pads and rotors that will keep me from replacing them
each year?.  I go through a set of pads and rotors every year.  Every
other vehcile I own the pads and rotors last over 3 years (30,000
miles).  I plan on keeping this vechile as a daily driver.  It usually
is bulletproof.

Also, I am considering buying the new 3 Series Coupe.  MotorWeek
reviewed the 323CSI (I think this is correct) and gave it an outstanding
rating.  How about the 328 Coupe. What would be a better selection?
Would it be better to wait for the new M3?

Thanks to everyone in advance.
John